[tex-live] tl17 pretest init

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Apr 21 14:05:10 CEST 2017

Dear Norbert / all --

Norbert Preining wrote:
> Dear Phil,
>
>> [PT, cancel dysfunctional) It happened to me twice today; on the first occasion it finally
>> dismissed the box after eight or nine clicks; on the second, not even
>> 20 would suffice, so I had to resort to the [X] button.
> You installed TL two times?
>
> Anyway, the reason is that there are IO intensive operations running that block the GUI responsiveness. Unpacking a big package takes time and CPU cycles, and unless the installer is not reprogrammed to use threads it will not be more responsive. So hitting cancel 20 times is like a small baby (my 1+ year old is in this phase now) who doesn't get immediately what she wants.
After introspection and further testing, I do not believe that this is the cause.  At the time that the <cancel> fails to take effect, no packages are being installed.  The dialogue box in question is the "Enter path for TEXDIR"  box, and having used left-mouse-down-at-right-end followed by drag-to-left-extreme [1], the <cancel> button has no effect no matter how many times repeated..  Transferring focus to another window or process and then restoring it to the dialogue box is sufficient to allow <cancel> to have its intended effect.

** Phil.
--------
[1] My normal way of selecting a stretch of text in a GUI.