[tex-live] TL2017/LuaTeX "bug" (but also probably in all other distributions as well)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Apr 20 23:43:52 CEST 2017

Hi Patrick - sorry, but I am not enthused about distributing an
unstripped luatex in TL. There's the annoyance of a special case in the
build, and the downside of occupying extra space for the benefit of a
tiny percentage of users.

In addition, being able to load .so files is immediately and completely
insecure, so the fact that it fails with the TL does not seem bad to
me. (Of course, this is just random "semi-security", not anything real,
but I'll take what I can get. If there was some way to configure
"disallow loading .so's", I think it should be set in TL.)

Overall, it seems to me that people who want to use .so files should be
able to build from the sources themselves, or get a binary
elsewhere. --best, karl.