[tex-live] tl17 pretest init

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 11:20:10 CEST 2017

> Mojca wrote :

> > I am thinking more of a python/gtk or so, or native C.
> Yes, the need for "npm" worried me too -- I am still trying to find out
> how one installs "npm" in the first place -- but overall the solution seems
> a good one :  HTML, CSS and JavaScript is a very simple and straightforward
> way in which to express a limited-choice GUI.  As regards backwards
> compatibility for (e.g.,) earlier versions of the Apple Macintosh operating
> system, is this an issue ?  Can users therefore not continue to use the
> older installer, whilst more up-to-date users could use the new one if/when
> written ?  Just as we offer "Install-TL" with various options (GUI,
> Advanced, Microsoft Windows, ....) could we not do the same with different
> GUIs (GUI, Electron-Gui, etc.) ?

npm is a part of node.js, you find the installer on
https://nodejs.org/en/download/current/. I tried on Windows 7 and the
installation  reported a conflict with Acrobat Reader DC. It said that it
will unintall AR and it will have to be installed manually again. I
confirmed, installation of node.js was completed and Acrobat Reader DC
still worked.

> ** Phil.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz