[tex-live] tl17 pretest init

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Apr 19 14:06:52 CEST 2017

Dear Phil,

>I accept that, yet find it very odd; it is the */only/* application (of
>hundreds, if not thousands, installed on my machines) that fails to
>respect the host O/S standards for the user interface.  Surely I am not

It is with high probability the only one using Perl/TK. Mac users complained about the same visual incompatibilities, and a nice soul wrote a front end to tlmgr that adheres to the UX standards.

Feel free to contribute your front end adhering to the Windows UX standards

>It happened to me twice today; on the first occasion it finally
>dismissed the box after eight or nine clicks; on the second, not even
>20 would suffice, so I had to resort to the [X] button.

You installed TL two times?

Anyway, the reason is that there are IO intensive operations running that block the GUI responsiveness. Unpacking a big package takes time and CPU cycles, and unless the installer is not reprogrammed to use threads it will not be more responsive. So hitting cancel 20 times is like a small baby (my 1+ year old is in this phase now) who doesn't get immediately what she wants.

Please try a bit of patience!

>Is there any reason for that restriction ?  A 3-level hierarchy such as
>C:\TeX\Live\2017 seems very logical to me, and allows the parallel
>trees C:\TeX\Live\2016 and C:\TeX\Projects

Yes, because we think two levels is enough.

In your case you only have to have c:/TeX bring available to get going.

Enjoy

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert + TeX Live & Debian Developer + http://www.preining.info
GPG: 0x860CDC13 fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0 ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13