[tex-live] tl17 pretest init

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Apr 19 08:39:22 CEST 2017

Philip Taylor wrote:
> Ah, I now see that the pre-test instructions differ very significantly from the production ones :
>
> Pre-test:    rsync -a --delete --exclude="mactex*" somemirror::/some/path/ /your/local/dir
> Production:    rsync -a --delete rsync://somectan/somepath/systems/texlive/tlnet/ /your/local/dir
>
> No <scheme> or "://"  in the pre-test syntax but instead a "::" after <somemirror>; might this explain the problem ?

UNIV: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

This did not appear to be the root cause of the problem (but it is nonetheless a potential source of confusion, and the change in syntax should be documented).  I finally overcame the problem by adding "-L -v " to the command-line incantation -- "-L" avoided the symbolic link error (the documented incantation would appear to assume that symbolic links are supported on the target file-system) and "-v" allowed me to observe progress.

New bug reports :

1) Using "install-tl-advanced.bat", and click-and-drag in (e.g.,) the TEXDIR dialogue box does not clear the inverse-video "selected" indication when a character is typed
2) The "Cancel" button of that dialogue box is  at best unreliable and at worst completely useless.
3) The installer informed me that C:\TeX\Live\2017 was unwriteable until I created it by hand (the installer had been invoked using "Run as administrator".

Further bug reports if and when problems encountered.

Philip Taylor