[tex-live] TeXlive 2016 mis-configured?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 12:45:13 CEST 2017

017-04-17 12:08 GMT+02:00 Andreas Scherer <andreas_tex at freenet.de>:

> Am 17.04.2017 um 01:49 schrieb Norbert Preining:
>
> In order to make my installation of CWEBBIN override 'cwebmac.tex' in
> the future, I also had to change 'generic' to 'plain' in the specfile.

This is exactly what is written in the documentation and I wrote you how to
correctly invoke kpsewhich. The strategy is more than 20 years old when
LaTeX 2.09 and LaTeX 2e had to live side by side and there were different
files for each format but with the same names. It is used up to now and
will be used many more years in the future. By definition tex/plain and
subdirectories contain files intended for plain TeX, tex/generic contain
files usable by any format and any engine. It is normal that a
format/engine prefers more specific files to the generic files. This is the
reason why plain TeX does not accept your "generic" file if a "plain TeX
specific" file with the same name exists. Thus if you have "plain TeX
specific" file that should override the system-wide file, it must be under
texmf-local/tex/plain.

> Thanks again for your guidance.
>
> Andreas

Zdeněk Wagner