[tex-live] Fatal fontspec error: "cannot-use-pdftex"

José Hissa Ferreira jose.hissa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 16:10:33 CEST 2017

Hello,

I have TeXLive installed on both Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10 with no
problems but today just after the update process I got an error with
fontenc package:

Fatal fontspec error: "cannot-use-pdftex" The fontspec package requires
either XeTeX or LuaTeX. You must change your typesetting engine to,
e.g., "xelatex" or "lualatex"instead of plain "latex" or "pdflatex". For
immediate help type H <return>.

This error message is wrong because I am using pdflatex to compile.

I did run pdflatex with my tex file (with beamer) before and after the
update. Just after the update had ended (without any error message) I
did run the same file and got that error message.

I can not identify the source of this issue and I would like some
guidance on how to proceed

Thanks,

JHissa