[tex-live] Malformed PDF

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Apr 6 20:37:42 CEST 2017

Am Thu, 6 Apr 2017 17:51:00 +0100 schrieb David Carlisle:

>> The following input,
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{tikz}
>> \usepackage{pstricks}
>> \begin{document}
>> Help!
>> \end{document}
>>
>> using tikz and pstricks in that order, and typeset using pdflatex seems to
>> produce malformed pdf output.

> but anyway I get no error just the warnings about non-pdf specials
> and the resulting pdf doesn't appear malformed, at least xpdf, acrobat
> reader and the pdffinfo utility don't complain about it?

I get no complains either. But looking at the pdf (with
compresslevel 0) I can see that the pdf refers to three objects:

/ColorSpace 3 0 R /Pattern 2 0 R /ExtGState 1 0 R

but the object themselves are only there if one load pstricks before
tikz:

1 0 obj
<<>>
endobj
2 0 obj
<<>>
endobj
3 0 obj
<<  /pgfprgb [/Pattern /DeviceRGB] >>
endobj

So I think it possible that some viewer complains. But it would
involve a lot of work and time to identify the reason and I don't
think it is worth. The users should simply not load pstricks.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/