[tex-live] LuaTeX 1.0.0 in TL 2016?

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 08:56:59 CEST 2016

On 28 September 2016 at 22:30, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Karl Berry wrote:
>> No, I do not want to rebuild luatex 1.0.0 binaries now; I think it is
>> better to keep things stable.  Next year will be soon enough for TL.
>> Anyone who wants to work with 1.0 can build them from sources, or, I
>> imagine, get them from the context repos in due course.  -k
> Following encouragement yesterday from David Carlisle, I was motivated to try to migrate from XeTeX to LuaTeX 1.0, but "anyone who wants to work with 1.0 can build them from sources" is a 100%-certain obstacle to adoption.  "Building from source" may well be the norm in the Unix world, but to the best of my knowledge the number of people who can build TeX Live for Windows can be numbered on the fingers of one hand ...
>
> ** Phil.

Phil, I was using 1.0 but I assumed you were using 0.95 from tl 2016?

The number of changes is very small (far far fewer than the changes
between texlive 2015 and 2016) so the 1.0.0 release is more of a
symbolic (but important) statement of stability rather than anything
that affects many users.

So I'd agree with Karl that the normal policy of updating binaries
only at a new texlive release should be fine here.

David