[tex-live] tilde in file/folder names (again)

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Thu Oct 20 18:46:15 CEST 2016

Le 20 oct. 2016 à 11:24, Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> a écrit :

> Am Thu, 20 Oct 2016 09:23:18 +0200 schrieb jfbu:
>
>>> (despite having been upvoted and accepted, you can't trust anything on
>>> the internet:-)
>>

>> this is big problem with tex.stackexchange !
>>
>> number of upvotes is sometimes misleading and, more surprisingly,
>> the tick for accepted answer sometimes too
>
> This is not a problem with stackexchange but to be expected when you
> communicate with people.
>
> In all ((la)tex and non latex support) chanels I have visited over
> the years (usenet, email, forum, tex.sx) I had cases where I wrote
> an answer, got greatful "this works great" feetbacks and then
> realised that  I had written nonsense.
>
> And I saw cases where people sticked stubbornly to a rubbish
> solution even if they were told that it would bite them and that
> they are better alternatives.
>
> Expecting that every vote or tick is correct means that you expect
> that everyone carefully test solutions, spent time to ponder over
> them and don't make errors when judging the code -- not a very
> probably scenario.

sometimes I go to stackoverflow or other places on stackex
looking for an already provided
basic answer about Python, GNU Make or whatever, and indeed,
if I am logged I will upvote the accepted answer if it also
solves my question.

but what I have observed many times on stack.exchange is that
people upvote answers which solve problems they were not
confronted with to start with, that they have no competence
to judge, and that they even don't test at all. Nice pictures
will more easily draw upvotes. This is a phenomenon you see
when you provide a new answer to an old question which had
a disputable accepted answer. Providing a new answer brings
the question upfront on the site, and in an automatic
manner you see upvotes going to the already accepted answer,
at a speed so high (it seems traffic is much lower nowadays,
so perhaps two years ago) that it is not possible that the
people have tested the code. Meanwhile your new, imaginative
answer, remains unread, un-understood, and un-upvoted.

anyway, perhaps we can observe what happens with

http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/335029/4686

Jean-François