[tex-live] dvipdfmx: Support for SVG-in-OpenType

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Mon Nov 28 01:53:49 CET 2016

On 25/11/2016 01:34, Norbert Preining wrote:
> I would say go ahead, as long as current documents don't break it is
> completely fine.

Right! I shall get on this.

> [moving dvipdfmx to use libtexpdf]
> Also this would be very advisable in this case, and I guess we
> can sort the problems with libkpse out.

Here is the best I could do with it, a version of dvipdfmx which
separates out the PDF generation backend from the DVI handling front-end:

https://github.com/simoncozens/dvipdfm-x/tree/libtexpdf

It works beautifully on an xdv created with xetex using OT fonts. Within
the libtexpdf submodule there is also a file called "library-poc.c"
which demonstrates using the libtexpdf library to create a PDF file with
an OT font; I've also been using the library successfully with SILE for
a few years. It's the best PDF generation library I've seen available.
(Thank you!)

But it will fail horribly on TeX fonts because of the kpse issues. It's
been a long time since I looked at why (and to be honest I was pretty
confused when I was looking), but I think the problem was to do with
creating the correct fontmap record for the located file: font names,
TeX names and file names all need to line up. I don't understand well
enough to do much more with it and I am finding it hard to test because
for some reason building it on my system doesn't use the local texmf.cnf
properly. Hopefully it will make sense to someone.

Simon