[tex-live] [XeTeX] Random number primitives

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 11:13:09 CET 2016

> No, not at all. There is a big difference between offering new >functionality
> and offering existing functionality. when implementing existing tex >features.

Existing functionality is something that is already there
but this discussion is on because this functionality is
not included in XeTeX. Also, this is not a TeX feature but
a pdfTeX feature!

> Er no, That was entirely the point of my message.
> I was replying to your offer to change the sources of pdftex. If

No I was offering to write the new code for XeTeX. Personally,
I do not care about pdfTeX!

>that were done
> people would _not_ be able to use their ancient (or even not ancient)
> files and get the same results.

That is why they ship all these different programs!
If all programs had the same functionality, there would
be no need to include them in the same distribution.
You simple want XeTeX and others to follow what you
think is correct. I just said that it is good idea
to provide this functionality but we/they should implement
it the way we/they like. You want pseudo-random number, you
will get them.

A.S.