[tex-live] koma-script and hyph-utf8

texlive at schoepfer.info texlive at schoepfer.info
Tue Mar 29 14:16:22 CEST 2016

>>>     Yes, it is intentional.  The .txt files contain patterns and exception
>>> lists (as .pat.txt and .hyp.txt respectively), one by line; hence when
>>> there are none the file is empty (only relevant for exceptions, of
>>> course).  Not ideal, but that was the way it's been since we implemented
>>> plain text hyphenation data.
>>
>> So the files are needed even if they are empty?
>
> No, they are not really needed.
> They were just added for consistence/simplicity. We didn't think of
> "problems" related to the files being empty, but you are certainly not
> the only one who complained.
>
>> May i insert a comment, to
>> make it nonempty?
>
> Those files are meant to include one hyphenation exception per line. I
> don't know where and how these files are used outside of TeX (or
> perhaps in some TeX packages that I'm not aware of). There could be a
> tool that would produce wrong results if it doesn't expect comments
> (and even if it would expect comments, it is not clear whether a
> comment would start with % or # or perhaps something else).
>
> I would suggest you to simply remove those files rather than modify them.

Ok, thanks for the information.

>> I ask because i want to build a package for my linux-distribution and the
>> build-tool warns about emtpy files.
>
> Which Linux distribution?

Slackware.

> We plan to introduce some changes to hyph-utf8 in the next month, so
> if you are starting the packaging now and are not in a hurry, you
> could also wait a bit longer in order not to spend effort on things
> that you'll have to fix later anyway.

Thanks for the hint. I'm not in a hurry. Testing/changing my package(s)
will take some time anyway. I'm building three packages. The first
contains all binaries+minimal set of tex-packages(including hyph-utf8)
to have a small working texlive-installation at about 50mb
xz-compressed, the second package contains the remainder to provide a
full texlive-installation. The third package comes with all documentation.

Johannes