[tex-live] Can Noto fonts be made to work with fontspec ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 22 05:48:07 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 09:31:55AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2016, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > I've recently installed the whole set of Noto fonts to one machine,
> > so I thought I would take another look at trying to use them with
> > lualatex and xelatex.
>
> Take a look at
> 	http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/258644/how-can-i-use-opentype-collection-font-with-fontspec-package-and-luatex
> which speaks about Source Han Sans wich is NotoSans.
>
> Norbert

Thanks.  I was trying to use the Source Sans CJK fonts when I last
tried this - at that time I assumed there was something too new in
them.  Now, Zdenek has pointed the way to me : after I replied to
him, I realised I was already using a korean font with a space in
the name, so the fontspec error about a space in the filename is
"misleading".  And for the rest, I need to take the second field
delimited by ':' from fc-list, strip the leading space, and use that
string instead of the font name.

For sad people like me, who think that scripting in bash is the best
thing since (whatever - I was going to say sliced bread, but I
prefer real bread ;-) this seems like another fun change to make.

As to font collections - I don't think the otf variant has bitten me
yet, but if I can continue to find time to play with fonts then I'm
sure it will bite me one day.

Cheers

ĸen