[tex-live] General test suite for TeX-Live

Uwe Ziegenhagen ziegenhagen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 21:00:25 CEST 2016

I created a Etherpad instance to collect some thoughts: I think that even
visual checks might not be necessary if we calculate statistical summaries
for a given output.

https://piratenpad.de/p/TeXLiveTesting

I commute each day approx. 2 hours, I'll start some design approach
tomorrow-

Uwe

> On 2016-06-19 at 09:30:51 +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > the idea of automated tested was here more than a year ago and I
>  > explained that I consider it impossible. Nobody knows which set of
>  > packages will be used in a document created by each user. It is
>  > only possible to create subsets of test files.
>
> Dear Zdeněk,
> I fully agree with you. But I don't think that a test is useless
> only because it doesn't catch all possible errors.
>
> What I propose is to
>
>   \let\uwe\proceed
>
> Zdeněk, I'm certainly much more pessimistic than you, but I think that
> we should allow Uwe to prove that our assumptions are wrong.
>
> The only alternative I can imagine is to do nothing.
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                            Phone: +49-511-3373112
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de

Dr. Uwe Ziegenhagen
<http://www.uweziegenhagen.de>