[tex-live] How to configure and build luajit for PPC on PPC64?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 12:11:24 CEST 2016

> On 15 June 2016 at 10:08, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
>>
>> as subject says I'd like to compile the luajit tree (libs and binaries)
>> on PPC64 but for PPC (should be doable with -m32) but AFAICS the
>> autoconfigure does not support to compile a part with a different bit
>> environment?

The problem is that you are not compiling "just that tiny bit". I'm
not sure how you do the compilation on SuSE(?), but compiling LuaJIT
means that you probably want to end up with a luajittex binary which
has to link (either statically or dynamically) with other libraries
like libpng. So you also need a lot of 32-bit libraries, not just
luajit and I don't see any easy way to do that in a single step
(unless you were compiling "fat" libraries and binaries containing
multiple architectures like it used to be popular on Mac OS X).

On 15 June 2016 at 10:24, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hmm, AFAIR the luajit part is not supported on ppc, anyof them.

That's not entirely true. It is supposed to work on PPC on Linux. It
even compiles on Mac and some basic functionality works (I can even
make a ConTeXt format file and typeset a basic document on Mac OS X
10.5/PPC), but there are examples that dump core and the typeset
document is somewhat junk (some weird scaling of fonts).

But on the other hand luajittex doesn't really bring any extra
functionality, it is just supposed to be slightly optimized in some
aspects. (One could in principle make a symlink from luajittex to
luatex and users wouldn't even notice.)

If I was packaging TeX Live on a distribution that doesn't have native
support for luajit, I would not bother about ugly hacks to compile
luajittex.

Mojca