[tex-live] TL2016 brings "no driver" error where previously there was none

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 18:01:32 CEST 2016

On 7 June 2016 at 16:53, <tljack at forallx.net> wrote:

> On 2016-06-07 09:42, David Carlisle wrote:
>
>> On 7 June 2016 at 16:34, <tljack at forallx.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 2016-06-06 16:05, Akira Kakuto wrote:
>>> /tl/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.sty:94: Package graphics
>>> Error:
>>> No driver specified.
>>>
>>> Not confirmed here.
>>> % pdflatex
>>> documentclass[a4paper]{article}
>>> usepackage{enumitem,geometry,array,graphicx,amsmath,amssymb}
>>> begin{document}
>>> Foo.
>>> end{document}
>>> works ok.
>>> Do you have
>>> texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics-cfg/graphics.cfg ?
>>>

>>  I assume that path should end with /graphics/graphics.cfg.
>>
>>  Anyway, no I don't have that file either in TL2016, or in TL2015.
>> TL2016 is the only one with the error.
>>
>>  -jack
>>
>> If you do not have graphics.cfg then you need to supply an explicit
>> driver option to the graphics package but one has been part of texlive
>> since before it was called texlive.
>>
>> in tl2015 (and possibly tl2016) what do you get returned for
>>
>> kpsewhich graphics.cfg
>>

> Ah, now we're getting somewhere.  That command returns nothing at all in
> TL2016, but in TL2015 it returns:
> /tl/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/graphics.cfg
>
> I don't know why it wouldn't be there this year.

there's been some rearrangement of the locations, in particular that file
is now on ctan (and pulled from there to texlive) rather than being
maintained directly in texlive. so in 2016 it is
2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics-cfg/graphics.cfg

> If you have not got that file you can get it from
>>
>> https://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/graphics-cfg [1]
>>
>> but how did you install texlive?
>>

> For the last few years, I've done it this way: I rsync the entire distro
> to my machine, then I run the tlnet/install-tl script and install the
> "minimal" scheme.

I leave it to the texlive maintainers to say what should or shouldn't be in
minimal
but if you install minimal then it's natural that you have to install some
additional
things so that real-world documents run, so it's not necessarily a bug that
graphics.cfg isn't in minimal.  (The graphics package hopefully clearly
documents that it is optional and what you need to do to specify a driver
if you don't have a cfg file)

David