[tex-live] [NSIS-devel] Fwd: Unable to use install-tl-windows.exe: "Windows XP earliest supported version; aborting..."

Jon Hood squinky86 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 19:07:05 CEST 2016

This is occurring on the Army Gold Master image for Windows 7, and
thanks to your input, I've been able to track it down:

* Force XP compatbility mode in the installers Properties->Compatbility
* Rename the installer
* Move the installer to C:\
* Use another user (preferably with only English letters in its name)
* Try on a different Windows 7 computer
Same result on all systems with this image.

* Disable your AV
* Run the version test suite on your --
https://github.com/kichik/nsis/blob/51e74df6c950cd8176ded182d09fc2553481f1ba/Source/Tests/winver.nsi
Bingo - that got it. The issue is with McAfee Host Intrusion
Prevention and McAfee VirusScan. Winver copies dll files to %TEMP%
including a system.dll file. It then begins executing within a new
folder in %TEMP%. McAfee configuration information is available here:

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/22000/PD22818/en_US/Access_Protection_Rules.pdf
p. 6 starting with the section “Prevent all programs from running
files from the Temp folder”

And the STIG rule for the fully unclassified side is available at:
https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/mcafee_virusscan_8.8_managed_client/2015-06-18/finding/V-59363

So, the moral of the story: NSIS version checking does not work on a
DoD-STIG'd system using McAfee VirusScan or HIP.

I'm cross-posting this on the texlive list so that their developers
know that the issue has been tracked down, and it's an issue with the
U.S. DoD + McAfee, not with NSIS.

Thanks again,
Jon