[tex-live] TeXLive 2016 installed but problems with running pdflatex and any related command

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 30 01:44:42 CEST 2016

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 03:00:52PM -0500, JUAN QUISPE wrote:
> Hello. I installed (that I think) TeXLive 2016 following
> https://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-mirror.html and
> https://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html (with any difference to run
> the install-tl script, see below) due problems with my internet conection.
>
> However, I have a problem. When I run pdflatex in the terminal it
> appears as not
> installed.

[...]
> I suspect that I have a problem with the PATH. In my case I have TeXLive in
> /usr/local.
>
> Finally, I discovered that I have the executable in
> /usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/i386-linux. I suspect this is related and
> should make a change, but I'm not so sure how.
>
> With what I have outlined can give me some suggestion to solve my problem?

On a system which has never before had TeX installed, that directory
will not be in the PATH.  Try
export PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/i386-linux"

If your shell is bash, put that in ~/.bashrc (and remember to change
it when you upgrade to 2017 next year ;-).

If your shell is NOT bash, perhaps you can set the PATH in
~/.profile.  Or maybe ubuntu will source that in ~/.bashrc.

> P.D .: In my case, running the install-tl scrip was different. I had to
> write perl install-tl instead of ./install-tl. Perhaps other people have
> this difficulty reading https://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html

I've not heard of that problem, perhaps you downloaded it to a
filesystem mounted with 'noexec' in its options.  Check where you
downloaded it to, then run 'mount' and check what it tells you.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods