[tex-live] I encounter a problem because texlive is kind of too large for my Ubuntu system in VMWare

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Feb 21 00:59:14 CET 2016

On 2016-02-20 at 13:29:04 +0000, Philip Taylor wrote:

 > yuez wrote:
 >
 > > Back in the time when I first tried to have a taste of Latex I run into
 > > a problem that I posted on Askubuntu:
 > > http://askubuntu.com/q/706561/398861. It really have bothered me many
 > > times and I wrote an answer there myself recently only to find that it
 > > just doesn't work actually. I have set the VMWare to make the system
 > > have a maximum storage of 80G, but after the configuration the sda1 only
 > > has 20G as original. Then I have created a new filesystem sda3 which has
 > > about 15G storage. So I thought I have two methods to tackle the
 > > problems: 1) enlarge the root filesystem or 2) install tex-live into the
 > > new volume.
 > >
 > > Could anyone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.
 >
 > I know nothing of Ubuntu.  Under Windows 7 64-bit, a full installation
 > of TeX Live 2014 requires of the order of 7.5Gb :
 >

 > > Dir /S /T D:\TeX\Live
 > > 33704 Directories; 145343 Files;  7,497,936,081 bytes.

TeX Live 2014 requires 5.2 GB on Linux.  If Windows needs much more
disk space, it's very likely that data blocks are larger than on
Linux.

Which file system are you using, FAT or NTFS?  AFAIK the size of data
blocks is 4 kB on NTFS by default (same as on Linux) but on FAT file
systems it depends on the size of the disk and large blocks are quite
common.

Is it possible to spot the size of data blocks on your system somehow?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de