[tex-live] Conflict between luatex/babel/luainputenc

Benoît RIVET benoit.rivet at free.fr
Sun Feb 14 10:37:07 CET 2016

Le 8 févr. 2016 à 10:16, David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Texlive "just" packages what's there it can't mostly change the
> package code so you need to report this upstream to Javier to fix in
> babel. It probably should force that UTF-8 is in fact the file
> encoding in force when reading the utf8 patterns.
> (\usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc} turns _off_ luatex's utf8 support)
>
> Incidentally do you have a good use case for using luainputenc
> (especially with utf8 encoding) from time to time looked at whether to
> integrate something like that into inputenc but there are some issues
> (not least with hyphenation:-) and no obvious real use cases for new
> documents.

It took me a while to answer… since I tried to find a case for using using luainputenc, and failed to find anything other than the ability to switch smoothly from lualatex to pdflatex.

If I remember correctly, using babel with luatex proved not reliable without luainputenc some years ago, which is why I used luainputenc with the utf8 encoding in the first place. However, testing on some typical documents, I do not find any problem with TexLive 2015, so I guess I can simply erase this line in my documents…

Thank you all in the TexLive List for the great work you do : as a user, I really appreciate your commitment,

Benoît RIVET