[tex-live] running tex and lua under restricted shell escape

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 00:44:48 CET 2016

On 13 February 2016 at 23:23, Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:
>> openout_any = p
>

> Typo of
> shell_escape = p
>
> Best,
> Akira

hmm the manual says

The  switches --[no-]shell-escape, --[enable|disable]-write18, and --shell-
restricted have the same effects as in pdfTEX, and additionally make
io.popen(), os.execute,
os.exec and os.spawn adhere to the requested option.

In keeping with the other TEX-like programs in TEXLive, the two Lua
functions os.execute and
io.popen (as well as the two new functions os.exec and os.spawn that
are explained below) take
the value of shell_escape and/or shell_escape_commands in account.
Whenever LuaTEX is run
with the assumed intention to typeset a document (and by that I mean
that it is called as luatex,
as opposed to texlua, and that the commandline option --luaonly was
not given), it will only run
the four functions above if the matching texmf.cnf variable(s) or
their texconfig (see section 4.15)
counterparts allow execution of the requested system command. In
`script interpreter' runs of LuaTEX,
these settings have no effect, and all four functions function as
normal. This change is new in 0.37.0.

Is that not working? (I'll test the cygwin version I have tomorrow)

David