[tex-live] [luatex] Spaces in the log: \scrollmode or not, LuaTeX or pdfTeX

Frank Mittelbach frank.mittelbach at latex-project.org
Sat Aug 20 16:49:03 CEST 2016

Am 20.08.16 um 15:43 schrieb Joseph Wright:

 > [..]

> (and similar for other engines) whilst LuaTeX gives respectively
>
>     This is LuaTeX, Version 0.95.0 (TeX Live 2016)
>      restricted system commands enabled.
>     (./test.tex
>     (./test.tex
>     ))
>     warning  (pdf backend): no pages of output.
>     Transcript written on test.log.
>
> and
>
>     This is LuaTeX, Version 0.95.0 (TeX Live 2016)
>      restricted system commands enabled.
>     (./test.tex (./test.tex))
>     warning  (pdf backend): no pages of output.
>     Transcript written on test.log.
>
> Is there some logic to the variation here?

I think there is not much you can do here other than accept the
differences (and expect more in the future)

and somehow program around it.

In the 20 years regression testing for LaTeX I remember several
occasions where spaces popped up in new places (or linebreaks) when a
new release of web2c was released. This is the same thing and as Hans
said, lua code will interrupt things and so start new lines in places.

It is a bit surprising that there is a lot of space differences between
batch and scroll mode but ...

would be nice if there are less, but it is fairly clear that the
different engines will behave differently here as this is not something
that matters except when trying to parse the .log file

Guess you need to normalize by hunting for ) as the first char in a line
combine it with the previous line and then see how far that gets you

frank