[tex-live] Default installation violates filesystem hierarchy standards

Tristan Miller psychonaut at nothingisreal.com
Sun Sep 27 22:38:41 CEST 2015

Greetings.

On Sunday 27 September 2015, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> when I started to use Linux and TeX Live in 2005, /usr/local was a
> common place for software that was not a part of the Linux distro.
> After the default installation of Linux it was created automatically
> but /opt did not exist. Even now if I compile a package from the
> sources (eg I needed a newer version of gnuplot), "make install"
> installs it to /usr/local, not to /opt.

/usr/local has always been (and remains) the correct place to install
packages compiled from source, provided that they put all their files in
the "correct" places (executables in /usr/local/bin, libraries in
/usr/local/lib, data in /usr/local/share, etc.).  The /opt hierarchy was
created for those rare packages which do not follow this convention.

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o         Tristan Miller          ><  Space is limited