[tex-live] Profile-based install: scheme plus selected extras?

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 11:29:58 CEST 2015

On 25/09/2015 10:25, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> Some time ago I tried to find how the installed TL can be reduced. There
> are only two items that are realy huge, documentation and fonts. You
> probably need fonts so if the space is your concern and you have good
> network connection, do not install documentation. Whenever needed, you can
> find the manual on the web. Space gained by removing individual packages is
> negligible in comparison with the space occupied by documentation.

That's not really possible to influence, as far as I know. The TL
packages aren't split up in that way, so when you install 'latex' you
get not only latex.ltx, etc., but also interface2e.pdf, ... If I were
worrying about disk space I could remove stuff after the fact, but
that's not the target here. It's an automated system and I'm trying to
avoid downloading more from CTAN than necessary, so anything that is
altered after download is neither here nor there.

Joseph