[tex-live] Question about my user manual frontmatter

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 9 22:17:20 CEST 2015

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 05:05:19PM -0300, Paulo Roberto Massa Cereda wrote:
> Hi, Peter!
>
> I dislike MS as well, although I have to help my dad once in a while with
> his spreadsheets. :) I thought of including this text just to make fun of MS
> and Office in general. The user manual is very complex, so I doubt it could
> be achieved with Word, and not to mention the beautiful typesetting (oh and
> it's memoir-powered! wink wink). :)
>
> I am open to replacing "proudly" with "unfortunately", but for now I am more
> worried with potential licensing issues with the icon, even if it does not
> reproduce any original Microsoft work. :)
>
> All the best!
>
> Paulo
>
> Em 09-09-2015 16:48, Peter Wilson escreveu:
> >I'm not clear where the jest is as I don't know the surrounding context.
> >I would be happier if "proudly" was replaced by "unfortunately" but
> >that, again, depends on the context.
> >
> >Peter W.
> >
> >PS. Beware, I have a visceral dislike of all things Microsoft.

Lacking the context, and knowing how humour can be easily
misconstrued, if I was doing it I would include 'not' in the text,
and change the 'W' icon to '!W' (or perhaps W-with-line-above, in
the spirit of active-low CPU signal documentation).  Or some other
negation sign, but '¬W' would probably look ugly.

ĸen
  aka "The hedgehog song"