[tex-live] what to do if I want to use different paragraph separation

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 17:07:50 CET 2015

5764c029b688c1c0d24a2e97cd764f at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/26/2015 03:04 PM, David Carlisle wrote:
> > Note  tex-live list is for issues relating to the texlive distribution,
> > not for help with tex questions,
>
> I did not know that. I am sorry. Next time, I'll look for a different
> place.
>
> > but anyway you could use
> > \usepackage{parskip}
> > which tries to hide some of the "hiddden" paragraphs from the
> > effects of increasing \parskip.
>
> Unfortunatelly, one of the side-effect of the "parskip" package seem to be
> that the vertical space around \paragraph is also doubled :-(

The sectioning commands also start a new paragraph, both for the title and
for the first paragraph below the title. With the exception of \chapter all
of them are implemented via \@startsection. The dimensions (various spaces)
cannot be set to a negative value in order to compensate \parskip because
negative values have different meaning (it is described even in Czech in
CSTUG bulletin in one part of my "LaTeXová kuchařka"). You have to redefine
\@startsection to set \parskip to zero temporarily (if the parskip package
does not do that).

> I am not sure if this is known and not easily unfixable or unknown and
> fixable.
>

> > David

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz