[tex-live] xesearch (under xetex) has error loading (TeX Live (cygwin) user)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 17 00:42:23 CET 2015

> On Nov 16, 2015, at 5:25 PM, John Wong <thjwong at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all, below is my minimal sample file and I just assume the specification at the end of file will direct the process to xetex.
> What else can I do to make it work?
>
> \documentclass{article}
>
> \usepackage{xesearch}
> % \newcounter{counted}% for creating unique counted* macros
> % \newcounter{words}[counted]% let words counter be reset by counted
> % \makeatletter
> % \newenvironment{counted}{%
> %   \noindent\hrulefill\par
> %   \stepcounter{counted}%
> %   \@ifundefined{counted\thecounted}{%
> %     \marginpar{\footnotesize\itshape?? words}%
> %   }{%
> %     \marginpar{\footnotesize\itshape\@nameuse{counted\thecounted} words}%
> %   }%
> %   % \marginpar{\footnotesize\textit{\thewords\ words}}%
> %   % \setcounter{words}{0}%
> %   \SearchList!{wordcount}{\stepcounter{words}}
> %   {a?,b?,c?,d?,e?,f?,g?,h?,i?,j?,k?,l?,m?,
> %     n?,o?,p?,q?,r?,s?,t?,u?,v?,w?,x?,y?,z?}
> %   \UndoBoundary{'}
> %   \SearchOrder{p;}}{%
> %   \StopSearching
> %   \immediate\write\@auxout{\string\global\string\@namedef{counted\thecounted}{\thewords}}%
> %   \marginpar{\raggedright\footnotesize\textit{End counting words}}
> %   \par\noindent\hrulefill}
> % \makeatother
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \section{Section 1}
> % \begin{counted}
> Text here
> % \end{counted}
> % (\thewords\ words.)
>
> \end{document}
> %%% Local Variables:
> %%% coding: utf-8
> %%% mode: latex
> %%% TeX-engine: xetex
> %%% TeX-master: t
> %%% End:
>

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:13 PM, David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 November 2015 at 19:59, John Wong <thjwong at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear mailing list members,
> >
> > I am a user of TeX Live (with cygwin under windows).
> >
> > The xesearch package does not load and simply \usepackage{xesearch} will
> > give me the following errors.
> >

> > ERROR: Undefined control sequence.

Howdy,

If you make sure you are compiling with xelatex there is no problem. Your error message is typical of what you get if your try to compile with pdflatex. Have you tried to compile outside of emacs which seems to be what you are doing from the directives?

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)