[tex-live] Pathological search path for TeXMF.cnf

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Mar 16 18:02:58 CET 2015

I have copied the entire 4Gb+ of the TeX Live 2014 installation from the
fast machine to a 250Gb drive attached direct to my router, and
therefore accessible from all machines on my home network.

On the slow machine, I set up a pseudo-drive letter and modified path :

Net use T: \\DSL-3780\usb\TeX\Live\2014
Set Path=T:\Bin\Win32;%Path%

I then try XeTeX from this remote file system :

D:
CD D:\Users\Philip Taylor\AppData\Local\Dropbox\LPL\Catalogue\Version
2\16-Mar-2015
XeTeX -output-directory=../Remote-content Master

and whilst it limps along initially, while loading (e.g.,)
./Image-float.tex, ./Captions.tex, ./Prelims.tex,
./Dynamic-content/Master.toc, ./Dynamic-content/Master.toc,
./Dynamic-content/TOC.aux, ...

it then becomes blindingly fast once it gets onto processing the guts of
the book.

I shall now have to re-clone the TeX installation from the DSL-3780 to a
hard disc on the slow machine and see if I can still replicate that
performance gain.

** Phil.