[tex-live] Pathological search path for TeXMF.cnf

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Mar 14 15:03:20 CET 2015

Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> the same unmodified file texmf.cnf (as it is called on case sensitive file
> systems) is used under Unix where all of these paths may exist, e.g.,
>   /usr/bin/ for binaries
>   /usr/share/texmf-dist/ for architecture independent files
> etc
>
> It is even possible to share the files in the texmf-dist/ tree between
> different systems, e.g., Windows and Linux or 32-bit and 64-bit!
>
> Regards
> Peter

OK, thank you Peter.  I won't pretend I understand for a second the full
rationale behind this, but I will instead assume that it is all
perfectly rational and that I must therefore seek elsewhere for the
cause of my performance problems (which affect only one machine out of
three, all with identical configurations).

** Phil.