[tex-live] Pathological search path for TeXMF.cnf

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Mar 14 11:14:35 CET 2015

Dear Akira -- Thank you for your prompt reply.  I am very happy to
accept that (for my system) the search path for TeXMF.cnf is correct,
but I am still very unclear why the rule-set that you enumerate is
logical.  For example, and assuming that all binaries are in :

	.../bin/win32

> $SELFAUTOLOC
> $SELFAUTOLOC/share/texmf-local/web2c
> $SELFAUTOLOC/share/texmf-dist/web2c
> $SELFAUTOLOC/share/texmf/web2c

Why might there be a "share" under /bin/win32 ?

> $SELFAUTOLOC/texmf-local/web2c
> $SELFAUTOLOC/texmf-dist/web2c
> $SELFAUTOLOC/texmf/web2c

Why might there be a texmf-local/texmf-dist/texmf under /bin/win32

> $SELFAUTODIR
> $SELFAUTODIR/share/texmf-local/web2c
> $SELFAUTODIR/share/texmf-dist/web2c
> $SELFAUTODIR/share/texmf/web2c
> $SELFAUTODIR/texmf-local/web2c

Why does the configuration assume that there will be a "texmf-local" at
all, given that the user can specify (e.g.,) /TeX/Live/TeXMF/Local as
the local equivalent of "texmf-local" at installation time.

And so on ...
** Phil.