[tex-live] Can't we get the Belleek (free MathTime) fonts to be distributeable?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jun 27 19:05:32 CEST 2015

Re belleek - my reply at
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2007-May/013893.html is still the
situation, as far as I know.  Someone has to construct the metrics,
without just copying the original files.  Although the results can (and
should be) the same.

If anyone has a serious intention of doing that work, I suppose it would
be good to check with the FSF and Debian that they will accept the
result.  *I* will no matter what, because I am confident enough that
metrics are not, in and of themselves, copyrightable, but I suspect
others do not feel the same.

Another approach would be to ask pctex to release the metrics under a
free license, as Adobe did with their base fonts years ago.