[tex-live] Non-commercial licenses

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Jun 23 02:10:33 CEST 2015

Dear Karsten,

first of all, I assume that you meant with Dr. Fink the maintainer
of TeX Live in SuSE. He will not be able to help you, as he is
repackaging TeX Live for SuSE, but is not the main distributor
or developer.

You have also contacted the Office of the TUG, that is the best
solution. In fact, Karl Berry will probably answer you, too, but
I start with somne information. Feel free to follow up (also
in German, if it is in private).

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015, Bunz Karsten wrote:
> as a journalist of Germanys most successful monthly PC-magazine CHIP I am currently researching content for the enclosed DVD. Because of this I would like to offer our readers Your free software "Tex Live 2015" and "proTeXt" (if possible including upcoming versions) and distribute it as an additional service on any future CD/DVD, ISO-download and via CHIP-App-Tablet edition. Therefore I would be highly grateful if you would give me your approval.

TeX Live is distributed in various ways:
* once a year we release a DVD
* besides that we have daily updates and network installations
Please see http://tug.org/texlive/acquire.html for more details.

To our best knowledge, everything within the TeX Live itself
is freely redistributable, so you can include it at will, even
without contacting us - BUT - we are happy to check what you
are going to distribute/present/write to make sure it does
not contain any mistakes.
To quote from http://tug.org/texlive/copying.html

	In short, this means that all the material in TeX Live may be freely used, copied, modified, and/or redistributed, subject to (in many cases) the sources remaining freely available. (Note: this is not true of all the software in the CTAN snapshot or in proTeXt, which are distributed alongside TeX Live in the TeX Collection.)

So as long as you stay with TeX Live itself, you are fine.

Please feel free to contact me, this mailing list (texlive at ...), or
the office of TUG for further information.

Norbert