[tex-live] Messages when a package update fails

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 19:25:41 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> wrote:

> Am Tue, 16 Jun 2015 22:26:23 +0900 schrieb Norbert Preining:
>
> > Hi Ulrike!
> >
> > On Tue, 16 Jun 2015, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> >> Installation of new version of tcolorbox did fail, trying to unwind.
> >> xzdec: (stdin): Unexpected end of input
> >
> > Hmm, that means that prior to the update a backup was made
> > (that is *always* done independent of the backup setting)
> > but somehow the create .tar.xz could not be unpacked again with xz.
> >
> > This *IS* strange indeed ...
>
> I'm not really surprised that tlmgr couldn't reinstall the backup --
> after all the pdf of the doc was still locked.

There is a good reason why most Windows installers tell you to close
all applications before running the installer.  Just because you can
get away with leaving apps open 99.9% of the time doesn't mean
you can't encounter big problems the other 0.1% of the time.

> > If this is repeatable, it would be nice to track this down.
> > My guess is that due to the acroread locking also the creation of
> > the backup failed, although this sounds strange...
>
> I think I have seen this already on other occasions (I often forget
> open documentations ...). At the next update I will try to remember
> to force the failure.
>
> The backup seemed to be ok, tlmgr didn't complain and started the
> installation of packages until it failed a nr. 5:
>
> [ 5/19, 00:19/00:58] update: tcolorbox [3589k] (37258 -> 37530) ...
> tar: Could not create file doc/latex/tcolorbox/tcolorbox.pdf:
> Permission denied untar: untarring
> C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\xhwZzeH08H\tcolorbox.doc.tar failed
> (in D:\texlive\2015\texmf-dist)
> TLPDB::_install_package: couldn't unpack
>
> http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/mirror/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/archive/tcolorbox.doc.tar.xz
> to D:/texlive/2015/texmf-dist

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia