[tex-live] inclusion of pdf figures in tex-live 2015

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Thu Jul 16 11:07:32 CEST 2015

Dear David,

> Hi, I'm not sure I understand this extra check, but can it be changed,
> to either include the pdf (perhaps with a warning) or not include the
> pdf, with an error message.
>
> The current behaviour that pdf files are silently not included with no
> warning is going to catch a lot of people out I would guess.

Jonathan defines the default output-driver as "xdvipdfmx -q -E",
that is, quiet mode. If it is changed to "xdvipdfmx -E",
warnings such as

xdvipdfmx:warning: Version of PDF file (1.6) is newer than version limit specification.
xdvipdfmx:warning: pdf_open: Not a PDF 1.[1-5] file.
xdvipdfmx:warning: pdf: image inclusion failed for "./foo.pdf".
xdvipdfmx:warning: Could not find image resource...
xdvipdfmx:warning: Interpreting special command image (pdf:) failed.
xdvipdfmx:warning: >> at page="1" position="(148.712, 389.744)" (in PDF)
xdvipdfmx:warning: >> xxx "pdf:image matrix 1.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 page 0 (./foo.pdf)"

are shown if the version number is newer than the value written
in $TEXMFDIST/dvipdfmx/dvipdfmx.cfg: V 5.

If we write the newest number
V 7
in $TEXMFDIST/dvipdfmx/dvipdfmx.cfg, XeTeX+xdvipdfmx behavior becomes
the same as that in TL'14.

I think it is OK to write
V 7
in $TEXMFDIST/dvipdfmx/dvipdfmx.cfg. Karl?

--
Best,
Akira