[tex-live] Getting TeX Live installed in /usr/local to see an .sty installed in /usr/share

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Fri Jan 16 16:46:45 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 01:11:39PM +0100, Дарио Ѓорѓевски wrote:
> I installed TeX Live using the network install in /usr/local (as it is by default).
>
> The value of TEXMFHOME is ~/texmf and of TEXMFLOCAL is /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local. However, my Linux distribution's package manager installed sagetex.sty in /usr/share/texmf and its documentation in /usr/share/doc. What is the best way to get TeX Live to see those two, without copying anything over? I read that modifying TEXMFLOCAL to include multiple trees is not encouraged (and even if it included /usr/share/texmf, texdoc still wouldn't find the documentation in /usr/share/doc). So, is there any alternative?

Check whether there are symlinks under /usr/share/texmf to
/usr/share/doc, which would make the files there findable.

If you do decide to modify texmf-local, the best place to do it is
in /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf.cnf, i.e.  in <root>/texmf.cnf with
e.g. a line

TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOGRANDPARENT/texmf-local;/usr/share/texmf

Doing it with environment variables is considered less desirable.

--
Siep Kroonenberg