[tex-live] serious bug in longtable

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 10:21:10 CET 2015

On 12 February 2015 at 09:08, Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> > I'll see if I can find a way to make an experimental release,
> > although I'd be interested in your (or anyone's) opinion whether an
> > "xlongtable" ctan package would be helpful or confusing if the
> > intention is eventually to roll the changes into "longtable".
>
> I think an experimental longtable package distributed from CTAN under
> a different name is indeed problematic.  Instead, I suggest that you
> publish a request for help on the various TeX related places in the
> internet that points to the current longtable SVN version (tagged as
> experimental).  People should test it and report back to you whether
> it works as expected.

Currently it has a couple of half added fixes that clash, it does not work
so it doesn't need testing so much as it needs time time to fix.

> An alternative is to implement all changes protected by a `v5' package
> option, then uploading it to CTAN as a new longtable version.  As soon
> as everything works fine, `v5' becomes a no-op.  If necessary, a
> `compat' option could be added in case there are incompatibilities
> between v5 and v4.

Yes I added a compat option as there certainly will be incompatibilities.
The main bugs relate to incorrect page breaking and you can't fix that
without changing the page breaking and affecting existing documents.

>     Werner

I'll see what I can do, but If I don't find time to make an acceptably
robust and backward compatible version before the TL2015 cut off I would
rather leave it as it is than put out a half thought out change.
So I honestly can't say at this point.

David