[tex-live] serious bug in longtable

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 09:33:45 CET 2015

On 12 February 2015 at 05:30, Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello David!
>

> In August 2014 you wrote to me
>
> > https://dpctex.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/longtable
> >
> > [...] but I'm still hoping to get a longtable v5 out this summer
> > sometime....
>
> In the above SVN repository there is version 5.01 available.  In
> texlive, however, there is modified version of 4.11 (which fixes a
> bunch of grammatical errors, AFAICS).
>
> Any chances that 5.01 + grammatical fixes is `officially' distributed,
> making it available via TeXLive?
>

>     Werner

I'm not sure. I ran out of time (again) v5 isn't usable as it is, I spent
most of the time working on

https://dpctex.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/longtable/ltbugs.html

which tries to classify the bugs and feature requests sent to various
places over the years.
But as you see there are not many green (fixed) lines there.

For the version if "tools" I need it to be reasonably stable and have more
robust options for backward compatibility.

I could let out an experimental xlongtable or something to ctan/texlive but
once a name gets used as a ctan package it is very hard ever to get rid of
it, and possibly more importantly the current version v5 doesn't really
work as a couple of the fixes that have been suggested are mutually
incompatible and I haven't had time to sort it out.

Sorry it's not an entirely satisfactory answer.

I don't think there is any chance of updating the tools version before TL
2015.

I'll see if I can find a way to make an experimental release, although I'd
be interested in your (or anyone's) opinion whether an "xlongtable" ctan
package would be helpful or confusing if the intention is eventually to
roll the changes into "longtable".

David