[tex-live] pdfcsplain fatal format file error I'm stymied - texlive 13/14/15

Carlos linguafalsa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 08:43:38 CET 2015

On 2014-05-07 at 17:23:27 +0200, Petr Olsak wrote:

 > I have tried the TeXlive 2014, rsync + install today.
 > The problem is here:
 >
 >     cd tl2014/bin/x86_64-linux/
 >     ls -l pdfcsplain
 >     lrwxrwxrwx 1 olsak math1 6 May  7 15:47 pdfcsplain -> luatex
 >
 > but pdfcsplain must be a link to pdftex, no to luatex.
 >
 > The pdfcsplain format is well generated for three engines: pdftex,
 > xetex, luatex, but the default engine, when user type pdfcsplain on
 > command line, must be pdftex.

>>I vaguely remember that the symlinks are created by fmtutil.  If true,
>>probably the order has to be changed in fmtutil.cnf:
>>
>>It currently is:
>>
>>  csplain pdftex - -etex -enc csplain-utf8.ini
>>  pdfcsplain pdftex - -etex -enc csplain-utf8.ini
>>  pdfcsplain xetex - -etex csplain.ini
>>  pdfcsplain luatex - -etex csplain.ini
>>
>>Could you try
>>
>>  csplain pdftex - -etex -enc csplain-utf8.ini
>>  pdfcsplain xetex - -etex csplain.ini
>>  pdfcsplain luatex - -etex csplain.ini
>>  pdfcsplain pdftex - -etex -enc csplain-utf8.ini
>>
>>instead?
>>
>>There can only be one symlink at the end and I would expect that last
>>one replaces the previous one.
>>
>>Zdeněk, symlinks are generated automatically.  Thus the behavior should
>>be the same on all platforms.  It would be painful to maintain otherwise.
>>
>>Regards,
>>  Reinhard

but hypothetically speaking, user A says

xetex -jobname pdfcsplain -etex csplain.ini

then user B comes along to try to call pdfcsplain on the same file (too
late for that!), to have the "file format error I'm stymied" instead...

of course, unless the whole call is undone with a

pdfcsplain -etex csplain.ini

fmtutil and fmtutil-sys serve no purpose here.

great deal though!! user A ought to write a reminder with all of this, or is it
user B? Anyhow...

have a great day!
Carlos