[tex-live] XeTeX Chinese MWE no longer compiles on pretest

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Apr 28 00:30:52 CEST 2015

Scott: I hope that xeCJK.sty will work again after tonight's build.
You might have to remake xelatex.fmt explicitly, though I hope not.

David and Joseph:

    test for "old scheme" can be
    \ifx\e at alloc\@undefined
    or
    \ifx\xe at alloc@intercharclass\@undefined\else

Doesn't make sense to me.

What we want is for \xe at alloc@intercharclass to end up being \count257.
latex.ltx doesn't define it.  Therefore I put this into TL's xelatex.ini:

\begingroup
  \catcode`\@=11
  \ifx\xe at alloc@intercharclass\@undefined
    \global\countdef\xe at alloc@intercharclass=257
  \fi
\endgroup

No \else on the \ifx.  If there was an \else, it would be a no-op, since
neither \xe at alloc@intercharclass nor anything else will be defined at
that point.  (I see no practical reason why the \ifx is needed at all,
but can't hurt.)

I can't put it after the \input latex.ltx since that ends with \dump and
Joseph already went to all the trouble of eradicating the hacks to do
stuff after that in the .ini.  Surely we don't want to resurrect all that.

If you decide to define \xe at alloc@intercharclass in latex.ltx, let me
know and I'll remove it from the .ini.

--thanks, karl.