[tex-live] Texworks with Tex-Live on Linux

Jonas Camillus Jeppesen jonascj at sdu.dk
Mon Apr 13 17:08:17 CEST 2015

Hi all

I am confused about whether or not the Texworks editor is installed as
part of the Tex-Live distribution on Linux systems.

According to the documentation the choice of editor on Linux is left for
the user:
> https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#x1-380003.5
> (2nd paragraph):

> TEX Live installs TEXworks (http://tug.org/texworks) on Windows, and
> MacTEX installs TeXShop (http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop. On
> other Unix systems, it’s left up to you to choose an editor

Yet when I perform a manual installation of TexLive on Ubuntu 14.04 I
see "TeXworks editor" as an option in the text gui installer:
http://imgur.com/eJzJYzb

After completing the installation (with the components shown in
http://imgur.com/eJzJYzb), and adding directories to path as suggested
by the installer, I can successfully run commands like "pdflatex" or
"tex --version" on the commandline, but I can not easily figure out how
to open TeXworks. There is a folder
/usr/local/texlive/2014/tlpkg/texworks, but it does not contain an
executable. Invoking "texworks" on the commandline only cause my Ubuntu
system to say "The program 'texworks' is not currently installed."

What is the deal here? Should I expect TeXworks to be installed in Linux
or not? If it is indeed installed, how might I start it after completing
the installation? I have tested this specifically on Ubuntu 14.04, and I
do not know if similar issues exist on Fedora, Arch Linux, etc.

Thank you for your input!
/ JonasCJ