[tex-live] How to disable the automatic line break at 80 characters in the output of pdflatex?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 12:01:48 CEST 2015

> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 22:16:56 GMT
> Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>
> >     But this does not work adding lines to the end of the texmf.cnf file:
> >
> > Add the lines to the beginning of the file.  Or, much preferable, add
> > them to the local file /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf.cnf
> > instead of the system-distributed file
> > /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf.
> >

> In fact, in the "/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf" file,
> there was already these lines:
> error_line = 79
> half_error_line = 50
> max_print_line = 79
>
> So, I have replaced them by:
> error_line=254
> half_error_line=238
> max_print_line=1000
>
> I have done that instead of adding these lines at the end of the file.
> It works fine now.
>
> I have also tried to create the missing
> "/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf.cnf" file and adding these three lines but
> in this case, it does not work.
>
> In fact, as I am on Slackware 14.1, my texlive 20130530 has been patched.
> So, my path are maybe not the one of the original texlive 20130530 version.
> For example, instead of
> "/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf" I have
> "/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf".
> And I thought that instead of "/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf.cnf" the
> system-distributed file could be "/usr/share/texmf.cnf".
> Maybe my guess is wrong and it explains why it does not work with this
> system-distributed file.
>
> Is there a way to know where is the system-distributed file?

At first, type "echo $PATH" and examine the result. You can also try "which
tex" to see which executable is used. In the list defined in PATH the first
one wins. Usually it makes no problem if you have several TeX distributions
in PATH but it may be a source of weird behaviour. Suppose you have TeX
from your linux distro in /usr/share/bin and /usr/share/texmf-dist and TeX
Live in /usr/local/texlive/2014. TeX from linux distros is often
incomplete. It may thus happen that you call some binaries from
/usr/share/bin and other binaries from /usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/arch. I
saw a lot of weird errors causing by such a mess.

My suggestion is:
1. If you are happy with your linux distro's TeX, do not install TeX Live
from TUG
2. If you want TeX Live from TUG and you are unable to instruct you linux
not to install its own TeX, put TeX Live binary path to the _beginning_ of
PATH.

Other useful cdiagnostic commands are:
which kpsewhich
kpsewhich -all texmf.cnf