[tex-live] How to disable the automatic line break at 80 characters in the output of pdflatex?

Sat Apr 11 19:22:07 CEST 2015

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 15:15:13 +0200
Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> wrote:

> Am Sat, 11 Apr 2015 11:52:20 +0200 schrieb YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using texlive-20130530 and I remark that the output of pdflatex in the terminal is formatted like that: an automatic line break in inserted after 80 characters.
> > It means that the lines are limited in length so it does not fit correctly in my terminal that can contains more characters for a line.
> >
> > How to disable this automatic line break at 80 characters in the output of pdflatex please?
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/52988/avoid-linebreaks-in-latex-console-log-output/52994#52994

Nice this works using environment variables:
export max_print_line=1000
export error_line=254
export half_error_line=238

But this does not work adding lines to the end of the texmf.cnf file:
[...]
max_print_line=1000
error_line=254
half_error_line=238

Do you see why it does not work with the edited texmf.cnf file?