[tex-live] Docdir configure option not honoured

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Oct 29 15:37:10 CET 2014

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014, Andreas Enge wrote:
> into a separate package. Our standard approach is to pass the configure flag
>    --docdir=...
> The flag is accepted by texlive, but the output directory is then empty
> and does not contain the doc subdirectory of texmf-dist.
>
> Is this intentional?

Yes. configure's --docdir does not do anything. Installation of
the documentation files are independent and done by install-tl or
by tlmgr, depending on options set in the tlpdb.

Be reminded that the binary compilation does *not* produce a
workable system. The correct way is to do something similar
to what install-tl does.

See for example the Debian packaging how to split documentation
from the other packages.

Norbert