[tex-live] Makeindex, version 2.15 [TeX Live 2010] (kpathsea + Thai support)

Dan Luecking dluecking at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 8 21:50:02 CEST 2014

Fri, Oct 3, 2014, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

>Lars Madsen wrote:
>
> > In one project I've masked the index programme (xindy) to enclose the
> > entire word part of the index in a special purpose macro. That works
> > rather nicely.
>
>Indeed; and if I could find the real documentation for .ist files I
>might be able to do likewise for Makeindex,

A true documentation of .ist file format (one that includes
examples and their output) seems still to be written, but I
have found the man page to be sufficient (with a little
trial and error) for my purposes. In Windows TeX Live 2014
this can be found at
   [TeXLive2014]\texmf-dist\doc\man\man1\makeindex.man1.pdf
(replacing [TeXLive2014] with the appropriate root of your
TeX Live tree). See section "Style File", pages 2--5.

Older versions of makeindex (pre 1996(?)) are similarly documented by
two tables in [TeXLive\2014]\texmf-dist\doc\support\makeindex\ind.pdf
Given that very few are likely to have a makeindex from the last century,
someone ought to update ind.pdf.

Cheers,

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking