[tex-live] an issue with running dvipdfmx from a makefile

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Sun Oct 5 19:17:51 CEST 2014

Le 5 oct. 2014 à 14:37, Josef Kleber <josef.kleber at gmx.de> a écrit :

> Am 04.10.2014 um 23:35 schrieb jfbu:
>>
>> test: latex dvipdfmx
>>
>> latex:
>> latex temp
>>
>> dvipdfmx:
>> dvipdfmx temp
>>

> BTW, in such simple cases, you better use file names instead of targets:
>
> test: temp.pdf
>
> temp.dvi: temp.tex
> 	latex temp
>
> temp.pdf: temp.dvi
> 	dvipdfmx temp
>
> Then make can compare the timestamps of the files involved and execute the rules only if necessary! That is the timestamp of temp.tex is "newer" than of temp.dvi and so on.

excellent thanks.

also if I accidentally edit a style file extracted from a .dtx, rather than the original
in the dtx, then the make will refuse to redo tex stuff.dtx, hence accidentally
erasing my modifications in the style file

What in a situation where many files are produced by a single tex stuff.dtx ?
(my dtx does not use an .ins file)

assuming stuff.dtx -> A.sty and B.sty,

is there a way to configure make so that it won't do tex stuff.dtx even
 if A.sty is older than stuff.dtx, as long as B.sty is newer than stuff.dtx ?

thus tex stuff.dtx would be done only if both A.sty and B.sty (and others) are older
than stuff.dtx ?

(it will not matter much for the end user, but could help me avoid during development
because when an error arises, one ends up in the A.sty or B.sty buffer, and it is easy
to forget that one is editing the wrong place, in great danger of getting overwritten )

Jean-Francois