[tex-live] interactiveplot

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Nov 27 10:39:54 CET 2014

Joseph Wright wrote:

> This has come up before and the position seems to be clear. If a package
> produces output that can *only* be used with a commercial/closed source
> piece of software then it doesn't go in TL even if the package itself is
> open source. That's true for code that relies absolutely on Adobe Reader
> to view the results but also in the case of for example support for
> commercial fonts.

But /does/ it "produces output that can *only* be used with a
commercial/closed source piece of software" ?  I would argue not.  It
produces PDF which conforms to a freely-available specification; if the
open-source world has not yet caught up with that specification and is
still producing PDF readers that can handle only earlier versions, that
should not affect the classification of the package.

Philip Taylor