[tex-live] BUG: Syntax error in texlive-latex-base-doc .deb package

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Nov 25 23:58:39 CET 2014

Hi Hedley,

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014, Hedley Finger wrote:
> > installArchives() failed: dpkg: error: parsing file
> '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 46462 package 'texlive-latex-base-doc':
> >  field name `Section&' must be followed by colon

Your hard disk has errors, or the available file has gone
corrupted, this has *nothing* absolutely *nothing* to do with
TeX Live.

This is in fact a *Debian* (or Ubuntu) problem and you should be able
to fix it with

> I have no idea why a documentation package should be a dependency of an OCR
> package. This bug must be affecting other people who are trying to install
> texlive itself and other packages for which the faulty package is a
> dependency.

THat is not a problem of TeX Live, but of Debian/Ubuntu and a broken
available file, nothing we can do here, nor anything I as Debian
maintainer can do.

A *very* trivial google search would have guided you to this page:
	http://crysol.github.io/recipe/2013-11-29/fix-damaged-var-lib-dpkg-available/
with a recipe to fix a broken available file....

All the best

Norbert