[tex-live] BUG: Syntax error in texlive-latex-base-doc .deb package

Hedley Finger hedley.finger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 23:05:06 CET 2014

I am attempting to install tesseract-ocr 3.02 on Ubunut 14.04 LTS Trusty
Tahr, but whatever package manager I use (apt-get, Synaptic, etc.) the
installation stalls because somehow textlive-latex-base-doc is a
dependency.  A similar error message appears on every package manager (this
one is from Synaptic):

> installArchives() failed: dpkg: error: parsing file
'/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 46462 package 'texlive-latex-base-doc':
>  field name `Section&' must be followed by colon

... where '&' represents an unknown and undisplayable character in the
monotype font.

I have no idea why a documentation package should be a dependency of an OCR
package. This bug must be affecting other people who are trying to install
texlive itself and other packages for which the faulty package is a
dependency.

I have no particular interest in TeX Live but have sent this message in the
hope that someone can forward it to the correct person for fixing, so I can
install Tesseract!

Thank you for your patience,
Hedley

--
1/17 Glyndon Road, Camberwell VIC 3124, Australia
hedley.finger at gmail.com
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=hedley.finger@gmail.com>
Telephone 03 9836 4635
Mobile 0412 461 558
LinuxCounter.net registered computer 576484