[tex-live] What is the right way to include eps in latex for pdf generating?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Nov 10 21:12:31 CET 2014

On 2014-11-10 at 15:48:31 +0300, Askar Safin wrote:

 > (Also, in fact, I don't understand recent Akira's letter about
 > "prologues")

With the default setting of "prologues" Metapost doesn't include
the fonts.  This is fine for dvips because dvips only needs their
names in order to include them.

But if you are using epstopdf/Ghostscript in order to create PDF then
it's necessary to set

  prologues:=3;

so that the fonts are included by Metapost already.  Please note that
Ghostscript isn't aware of fonts provided by TeX Live.  If only the
name is included, you'll get error messages like

  /undefined in /cmr10

The easiest way to use Metapost graphics in LaTeX documents is to
create .mps files and to insert them with \includegraphics.

The mpost -> latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf way is also possible but rarely
needed nowadays.  I usually recommend the simplest solution.

If you are interested in the details, the dvips manual is a good
starting point.

  texdoc dvips

Regards,
  Reinhard